Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Upside


Perhaps I am deluding myself, but, as my blog name suggests, I believe that there is an upside to most events and to many personality characteristics as well.  Let’s say, for example, a child is stubborn – this child will not be swayed by peer pressure.  Or what if a child is disorganized?  I have found such children to be creative and adaptable.  I saw this with a disorganized child when I conducted my counseling sessions for Binder Doctor.  During these sessions, I teach elementary students to clean, repair, and organize binders, starting with their own.  Then they “practice” as Binder Doctors on other students’ binders during a “Binder Doctor Clinic”.  One student-doctor cut beautiful shapes out of colorful duct tape (used to repair binders) and offered a binder decorating service.  Another offered a “scented desk” by using a cotton ball drenched in fragrance – perfume probably borrowed from her mother’s dresser.  A male Binder Doctor admired that idea and used an Axe sample in his desk. The day that it wafted through the entire 4th and 5th grade wing was memorable.  My favorite creation was a marketing idea from a recent Binder Doctor graduate.  He suggested that we would get more business by changing the name of it to Pimp my Binder.  If you are interested in a small group intervention for reluctant organizers, check out Pimp my Binder – I mean Binder Doctor –  here.

No comments:

Post a Comment